HOW WE WORK

THE GRATEFUL KITCHEN specializes in natural foods and snacks, free of additives, preservatives, and factory processing. We are committed to working with organic foods and local farms. Many of our products are gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan. We change our menu weekly to ensure the freshest and finest quality products we can. We utilize recycled paperboard containers and compost our waste. Our goal is to get in your hands (and your mouth) the freshest handmade foods and snacks available, the way nature intended.

January 8, 2009

Welcome to Better Eating!

Greetings! A little background, first.

My name is Jen Mattson and I am the personal chef behind The Grateful Kitchen.
The Grateful Kitchen was established in 2008 with the simple mission to create and cook for those following a gluten-free, casein-free diet.

In 2007, our daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. After being told that there was "nothing we could do" by the neurologist, my husband and I turned to online parent groups for ideas. We learned that many children on the autism spectrum respond to a gluten-free, dairy-free diet. We felt like we had nothing to lose, so we gave it a shot.

It was a daunting challenge, to say the least. Here I was cooking for weddings with 350 guests, yet I was challenged to cook for my own daughter. There was so much confusion-how to work with the flours, what dishes could be translated into GFCF meals, and so on. But as a chef, I had no excuse. I got to work.

Two years later, she is a healthy and happy five year old, doing well and loving life. I guard her diet the way I guard her. I am convinced that food has the power to heal. For that, I am grateful.

No comments: